Sunday 20 October 2013

Chocolate has an evergreen Mother and a cocoa Father



Chocolate has an evergreen Mother and a cocoa Father

What could I possibly blog about today that could enhance your day?
I might start a blog about ~Why is it that there are no 'nice' roses in a roses tin anymore?  
 (we are talking chocolate here)
 Gone are the days of the real chocolate boxes, you remember the ones with tassles on the edge of a swanky satin covered box. I don't remember ever buying a box like this, but I do remember my Mother keeping some useful items in it long after the last liquid centred cherry one vanished. 



I did however go out to buy a box of Black Magic last Christmas, for old time's sake, and was horrified to see how all the chocolates have changed beyond recognition! They may still all be covered in dark chocolate, but I'm telling you that's where the similarities end. 
How dare they get rid of the liquid cherry ones! But when I posted this on facebook last year, I was even more horrified to discover that the liquid cherry ones had long gone. That was the only reason I bought them, and the only reason I used to love looking into a Black Magic box every christmas when I was young. Am I out of touch or are Nestle? 
They also got rid of Mingles as well! Who are advising these businesses! 
Bring back Mingles and bring back Liquid cherry Black Magic! 



Charlie and the Chocolate project.

When talking to children at school about chocolate, and reading them Charlie and the chocolate factory, (of course) which was a lovely chocolatey  introduction before going onto learning about  cocoa beans. Class 6 were asked to write something about chocolate, did they like it? What was their favourite chocolate etc.
 One lovely picture showed a lovely brown splodge with the title, 'I love chocolate, but not nutters.'
Another lovely child wrote, 'People all over the world love chocolate, they have enjoyed it forever, and maybe even longer.' 

I never forgot those little gems. 

Once onto the cacao pods in the classroom we talked about how they got here.  
Teacher- 'Columbus took some chocolate beans to Europe in 1502, and then he did something he had never done before, what do you think that could be'? 
Teacher looks around to find a willing child with their hands stretched high. Nods at one child. 
Child-'He died.' 

I suppose cacao trees are only interesting if you happen to be interested in them. 


It has only took me several minutes to write this so it's going up now before I forget or fall asleep, no doubt to be added to tomorrow morning! 

Quickly writes 'Chocolate' at the top of my to do list..

At least I know I'm going to get something ticked off tomorrow.. Yawns




1 comment: